Lifting and handling heavy objects incorrectly is one of the biggest causes of back injury in the workplace and at home.
You can prevent injuries and avoid back pain by learning and practicing the correct methods for lifting heavy objects.
There are safe ways in carrying heavy furniture, old appliances and other heavy objects to your waste bin.
It may seem straight forward for anyone to carry a heavy item but some people don’t know how to take the necessary safety precautions when doing so. However the good news is that there is help and equipment available to ease some of the pressure off you.
Here are some tips for carrying heavy objects to your waste bin:
- Create enough room and clear space by moving any obstacles that could get in your way such boxes, furniture and loose items, so you can safely transfer heavy objects to the waste bin. Having enough space also allows you to stop and take breaks if you feel that it is too heavy to continue.
- Team work makes the dream work. You can relieve pressure off yourself by asking someone to help you move heavy objects. It’s better to move heavy objects in pairs or groups than by yourself. If two people are moving a sofa out of the house, it would be great to get one person to spot you both and let you know if you are approaching steps or obstacles. Having a third person spot you can be especially useful if you are carrying objects up or down a set of stairs.
- Another way to take the pressure of your back is by making objects lighter. For example, you could dismantle a dresser with drawers and carry them separately.
- When lifting heavy objects, do not attempt to lift by bending forward as this can wreak havoc on your back. Instead, bend your hips and knees to squat down to your heavy object, keep it close to your body and straighten your legs to lift. Lifting your load this way could reduce the risk of injury.
- Avoid twisting your back or leaning sideways, especially when your back is bent. Also, turning by using your feet rather than twisting and lifting at the same time.
- Once the object is off the ground, move slowly and refrain from going too fast. You can always sit the items down and take breaks if you need to but make sure you return to the same squatting position, while keeping your back straight.
Don’t jeopardize your safety or underestimate how important it is to carry heavy items properly.
Having the use of a waste bin can make your job much more convenient but hurting your back due to improper lifting is not only inconvenient, it can put you out of commission for days, weeks or even months. If you are unsure about the best way to lift something, it is a good idea to consult with the experts. Take some time in learning how to lift properly – it will be well worth it in the long run.
Why would people use disposal bins when municipal waste pick-up is available?
How can construction and renovation companies make use of disposal services?
What kind of items can be placed in disposal bins in Toronto?
What tips do you have for those renting wasting bins?
What is the advantage of waste bin rental?
How can small businesses make use of bin rentals?
Are there specific jobs that I should consider renting disposal bins for?
Does renting a waste disposal bin require a permit?
What is the best way to carry heavy items to my waste bin?
Is it better to rent a disposal bin or get The Bagster?