If you have a construction, yard clean-out, household clean-out, or renovation job, you could hire a professional to handle the waste or you could use your truck (or a hired one) to take out the waste. The Toronto garbage dump is usually a transfer station. Whichever option you go for, it is important that you understand the process of dropping-off waste as this will guide you in the efficient waste management.
Top Toronto transfer stations like those that have weighing scales. The truck containing waste will be directed to the weigh scale and it will be weighed. Note that it is not necessary for a truck to be weighed if it is carrying electronics or disposable household hazardous waste since these are free to dispose of. The truck driver will follow the on-site signs to dump the waste on the hazardous waste garbage dump.
You will be required to declare the items you are disposing. You do not have to give specifics – you can generalize waste such as scrap metal, electronic waste, recycling, garbage, tires, or yard waste. The transfer station will assume that items will have been properly sorted.
Next, pay a deposit to allow you to dispose of the waste. The amount you pay will depend on the type of material and the estimated load size. There is a minimum deposit amount that you have to pay, irrespective of the type or size of the load. Most Toronto drop-off points accept all major credit and debit cards and cash.
You will then be directed to the appropriate garbage dump. The areas are separated based on the type of material. Note it is your responsibility to unload the waste.
After unloading the waste, take the vehicle back to the weighing scale. The net weight will then be calculated to give the exact weight of the waste. It is from this waste that you will get the final fee.
Once you make payment, you will get a printout of the weigh scale receipt and any possible refund. Note that if you were carrying separate loads of waste (such as recyclable waste and garbage), you must unload the waste separately and weigh in after every unloading for calculations to be made. If this is not done, then the highest material rate will be used.
You should enlist the services of a garbage disposal company as opposed to taking the waste to the drop-off point yourself because:
- Although the transfer station will take measures to ensure the transfer station is hazard and obstruction-free, will not be compensated in case of damage to your vehicle while at the transfer station.
- Hiring a pro allows you to concentrate on running your project.
- With a pro, you will not have safety concerns (a pro is equipped to handle hazardous materials and he will have workman’s compensation insurance).
- Top garbage disposal companies like Romano Disposal Services have the manpower, know-how and equipment necessary to keep waste bins hygienic.
- A pro understands all the relevant Toronto codes and hiring one means you do not need to bother with licenses from relevant ministries.