You may be hoarding stuff in your home that is dangerous to your health and safety and that of your pets. Most of these items if not used, stored or disposed the right way can cause all kinds of health problems and injuries. The following are some of the hazardous waste items in your house that should be stored, handled and disposed of properly.
Batteries contain chemicals that can be corrosive and have toxic fumes. Most items in the home are operated by batteries such as your remotes, laptops, toys and so on. The disposal methods for batteries vary depending on the time. However once your batteries stop working, you should set them aside and take them to waste drop off sites for sorting and recycling.
Aerosols such as air fresheners, insecticides and deo-sprays are extremely explosive whether full or partially filled. You should avoid puncturing or setting them of fire to be on the safe side. Collect all the empty cans in a box in the garage and next time the garbage collection crew comes around, find out from them whether they accept the empty cans or how you can get rid of them safely.
Automotive fluids such as motor oil, brake fluid and engine fuel can be toxic, flammable and explosive. Keeping them around your home for too long puts your entire home at risk of destruction from fire. You should not pour these fluids down the drain, as they will end up contaminating ground water and causing pollution. You should store these fluids in sealed plastic containers and deliver them to the nearest recycling plant or bin rental Toronto company.
Cleaning Supplies, Lawn and Garden Care Chemicals
These cleaning supplies, fertilizers and insecticide usually contain chemicals that should not be allowed to contaminate the water and soil. These items should be bought in the right quantity and used as per manufacture instruction in order to prevent left over after use. They should be stored away from the reach of children and animals to prevent poisoning.
Past Consumption Date Food Supplies
Food supplies should not be kept in the fridge or kitchen past the consumption date. Someone could accidentally consume these foods without reading the label and they could suffer poisoning. Anything that is expired should be tossed out of the fridge or cabinets. Foods that have been opened should be secured properly for storage to prevent bacteria and mold growth.