Some Facts About Garbage Recycling
Garbage recycling is one of the most crucial processes as regards safeguarding our environment. It is a well-known fact that we are our own worst enemies when it comes to the disposal of wastes. Waste disposal has a way of piling up both in volumes and effects. Here are some mind blowing facts about garbage disposal that will get you thinking about our garbage disposal habits.
- An average family (of about 4 people) generates about 6 tons of waste every year. Simply means that one person can generate over 1.5 tons of solid waste. These statistics are however for first world countries. Developing world countries may produce considerably less.
- Out of the whole percentage of garbage produced every year, only about 30% is recycled. First world countries will have over 75% of their recyclable waste disposed harmfully while the developing countries have more than this due to economic and strategic factors affecting them.
- Over 21 million tons of food waste is generated every year in a single country. Unfortunately, most of this waste is not composted. Composting all this waste would produce enough gases to help conserve the environment given that it is estimated that this would be equivalent to getting 2 million vehicles off the road per country. This would go a long way to curb pollution especially in industrialized nations.
- Disposable diapers are a good idea but not entirely. Recycling them is a better way of disposing them as compared to throwing them onto landfills, and not all places accept disposable diapers in the composting or recycling programs. Better yet, use reusable diapers. It’s a little bit more involved, but you’ll be doing something good for the environment and future generations. Disposable diapers will eventually decompose but after 500 years! The landfills would be overrun by this time.
- America alone throws away over 28 billion bottles and plastic jars a year. The most shocking fact is that manufacturers still feel the need to keep producing more bottles and jars despite the fact that they are all recyclable. You can then imagine how many are thrown away all over the world.
- It is amazing that it will take as few as 30 days to get a recyclable bottle back on the shelves. This also means that we can get to a no production point as far as plastic bottles go if recycling is done effectively. It is possible that the world can get to a point where no more bottles are produced.
These facts go a long way to prove that more can be done in managing waste disposal to make the globe a safer place for everyone. The best garbage dump Toronto services will do more than help manage waste.