9 Waste Management Tips
Human waste is responsible for most of the degradation that is happening to the environment today. It is the role of each individual to take measures to reduce their carbon footprint on the environment in any way possible. The following are some personal waste management tips that you could practice to reduce environmental pollution.
- Instead of thinking about waste management, think of sustainable materials that can be reused and recycled. For instance, you can buy a grocery bag to use for every shopping trip instead of getting your items packed in plastic bags.
- Reduce the use of plastic/paper plates and cups. Instead, use reusable ceramic and glass utensils and cutlery. You may have to do your dishes more often but at least you will not be stacking piles of unnecessary plastic in your garbage every day.
- Sort your garbage into recyclable and non-recyclable materials. Today, some waste management companies even provide compartmented garbage bins that you can use in your home or office to keep the different recyclable and organic garbage separate making it easier to recycle.
- Buy items in bulk to reduce the amount of packaging you end up with. If everything you buy is individually packed, you will end up with a lot of unnecessary packaging materials that is not good for the environment.
- You can enrich your soil while controlling your yard waste through composting to make manure. In case you have spacious garden, you can use the organic waste from the kitchen too.
- Donate or sell items that you are not using in your home. The more you keep these items in your garage of stored in your basement, the easier it is for them to be damaged by water, bugs or pests making them unusable and turning them into garbage that needs to be disposed.
- Buy fruits and vegetables that are not pre-packed so you can carry everything on one large bag instead of using multiple plastic bags.
- Clean and sort often to avoid being a hoarder and pilling up junk in your house. You can eliminate items you do not need through garage sales, donations and free cycles or even handing down to your friends and family.
- Be innovative in the use of old materials such as used glass bottles. You can find instructional videos on the internet on how to turn these into reusable items or lovely crafts to decorate your home.